Thursday, March 27, 2008

Fruity Pebbles

I’m finally at that age when everyone seems to be getting married. When I say everyone, I mean EVERYONE but me. And frankly, I’m surprised at my attitude. See, I had a feeling that this was going to happen. I’ve always expected to be the last one of my friends who was alone and fat, but I sort of expected some sort of mental breakdown to accompany the arrival of this day. I mean, as surprising at it sounds, I’m genuinely happy for my friends and I don’t constantly check myself in the mirror for a humpback or a gimpy leg that will forever keep me fat and alone (apologies to all my faithful fat, lonely gimpy-legged humpbacked readers) My one concern is, why am I so unconcerned? By my age, my mother had 6 years of marriage under her belt, 2 children and an accidental child on the horizon (me). Meanwhile, I’m at Pathmark buying Fruity Pebbles because no one can tell me I can’t have them. ( I do carry them home in a cloth bag, which is VERY adult, thank you very much!). But while I’m munching on my fruity pebbles, I can’t help but wonder if there’s something else I should be aspiring to? Why am I not acting my age? How does one act 24? Instead of rolling my eyes at mothers who bring crying babies on airplanes, should I smile at them politely while my ovaries yearn for their good reproductive fortune? Listen, I’m not saying I don’t want domestic life. In some sort of dark distant future, I do want it! But for now, these fruity pebbles are delicious! Is that so wrong?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not like big things aren't happening in your life. You are just choosing to see what "everyone" else is doing instead of focusing on the path that God has you on at this very minute. And i must admit that looking at you from the outside make me want to drown my "problems/personal life changes" in a bowl of fruity pebbles too.

dee

erica said...

not true!
i could make a long list of our friends that are not married... and are single and unattached. i think theres more of us that are single than there are that are married/engaged....

and i think its super great... :o)

though i do kinda wanna be a mom. but it'll happen one day if its meant to be... i'm not worried about it.

jamila said...

delightfully delicious.

i feel you...thought we're not all married and most of us are still chubby kids.

i dont' wanna be married. i can't see it just yet. but i can see a wedding...one day. funny huh? but sad is more like it.
but to be boo'd up is something else. to that i say yes please...in a while when we're in cali and we're two into ourselves to care about guys anymore cuz we're so fab. i'd like that. again yes please.

ding!