Sunday, November 25, 2007

sphinctor what? sphinctor who?

At Namyoung we hug. In a country where hugging is reserved only for immediate family in only the most extreme circumstances, I happened to be placed at the school where we hug. For everything.

This phenomena is due largely to the works of Pastor Yoon Seong Hyeon. Or as we call him Pastor Saint (not for any reason except for that is what his korean name translates into English.) Saint spend a significant amount of time in New Zealand and in Australia and picked up a few habits along the way, sitting on floors (unheard of in this country) and, of course, the hugging

But that's not what this blog is about. It's about how I got Saint to explain what a sphincter is this is a little long, so you may want to put the kids to bed first.

Korean Lesson:
In the Korean language there is such thing as a double consonant. Let me give you an example: The word for room is bang but the word for bread is bbang. the latter is said as if someone were to punch you in the stomach while you were saying the word.

Now, through a very dear friend, I found out that the korean word for sphincter is ddont ggo. (like don't go, if you get punched in the stomach twice). got it. good.

As I am leaving korea for good in a month, my pastor has been trying to convince me to extend my contract en corea. Usually when he passes me in the hall he say, "don't go!" Last sabbath, I seized the golden opportunity I had been waiting for!

After seeing him during church he gave me his usual "don't go!"

This is how the rest of the conversation went...

Jael: Pastor, Sean told me that don't go is a bad word in Korean, could it be true?
Saint: Really don't go? hmmm (thinks about it) don't go.... OH! ddont ggo!
Jael: Yeah. Pastor, what in the world could it mean.
Saint: oh haha (blushes) it's the exact point... you know... back here (points back there) where it comes out when you (gunts like he's dookying)
Jael: Huh?
Saint: You know, (grunts like it's a big one)where is comes out. the exact point.
Jael: OH! I see. Boy that Sean is terrible! Thanks Pastor, happy sabbath! (smiles and walks away)

3 comments:

Ellen Yun said...

good on you for gracing everyone on the internet with the story.

i'm even more impressed that you correctly labeled it.

erica said...

oh man!!! i've missed your blogs... i love it. i love you. come back to me.

Anonymous said...

i too am glad that you temporarily re-joined the blogging world. when you come back to this side of the world you must come down.
deidre