Wednesday, April 16, 2008

All you need is....

This was an email I got from a former student in Korea who I correspond with regularly. It just got me thinking....

Today, I had a term project.

My topic was Interracial marriage in Korea.


I'll show to you.

Have you ever thought about Interracail marriage?
and talked to your parents about it? especially i want to ask to women.
Maybe , their parents said "No!"


Actually I really want to get married with foreigner.
Before I started studying in this institute, I didn't think about the issue.
After I'm learning language, my thought was changing little by litte.
I think learning language is getting know about the cultures.

While I preparing the essay.
I asked to my mother.
First I asked, "Mommy, cna i have a foreign boy friend?"
She said "Yes, if you can, but it will be very difficult. because you are not a good English speaker."
I got a hurt a little. I know it just kidding.
And I asked one more question.
"How about get married with foreigner?"
she said "No!"
she can speak English well, and my father and brother too.
It is not problem.
But she thought, different culture is hard to understand.
When the different cultures meet, it can be a trouble.
But sometimes it can be an advantage.
But she didn't know.


I think that the most important thing in marriage is love.
It wasn’t popular in Korea, but, today interracial marriage has becoming more common than the past.
I think one of the main reasons is that women’s condition has changed a lot to choose spouses.
Once we learned, we should consider many things to choose a spouse, characteristic, financial condition, educational background, family status and same race.
And one of the considering factors is added.
It’s love.
And it becomes number one factor to select women’s spouses.
When love places first factor, all others become useless and meaningless when we make a decision about marriage.
Different cultures and languages can be cause many troubles on interracial marriages.
But women’s point of view, Korea has a conservative culture and Confucianism country.
Much housework’s should be done by wives.
But I heard many western countries are progressive and have “lady first” thinking.
And western culture is quite personal and husband and wife oriented not family oriented.
When I watch marriage situation drama, “Love and War,” I knew the relationship between parents-in-law could be harsh and cause problems

According to Korea culture, most of men think, women have to do all of housework and they have to take care of their parent-in-law.
In the Bible, according to Genesis chapter3 verse 16 to 19,
To be brief, God gave us punishment.
To the women, increase her pains in childbearing.
And her desire will be for her husband, and he will over her.
To the men, he must not eat of it, because in the ground because of him, though painful toil he will eat of it all the days of his life.
So, it means, men’s have to work, and do the women have to take care of her and husband family and be ruled over by him?
It’s unfair.
Yeh, I know a few family didn’t do like that.
Most of Korean women are worried about it.
After they get married, they should have to quit their work.
But some foreigner’s are different.
They usually think all of housework must share each other.
And they don’t have to take care of their parent-in-law.
Because of their thought, most foreigners have individualism.
Due to this thought, they don’t have any heavy duty.

So I think we can find many advantages on women respect cultures.
The Korean women who want interracial marriage don’t consider financial conditions,
But, just decide marrying in Belief of a husband’s love.

It was tooooo long.

What do you think about it?

3 comments:

Matthew said...

What is this love she speaks of?

I'm messing. It's good. I love it. Now hurry up and meet my parents. Then we can elope! How does that sound?

I like that she asked her parents and included that in her paper.

Jael, come to Chicago! I'll go to New York. But not to elope (or love).

To live.
To learn.
To grow (wider with carbs...and mentally, spiritually, too).

:)

Matthew said...

Haha, you know he read it. He loves me. He wants to be me.

Jael said...

I love how her mom says she can date a foreigner but not marry one.