Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I heart New York

I was reading a journal entry from back in January. I was weeks into my job search and frustrated to no end. That day I visited the New York Public Library on 6th Ave to write a couple cover letters, and also as an excuse to get out of the house. I found myself overwhelmed, not just with my task, with with the size, history and all around awesomeness of the building. I remember resenting feeling like a tourist in my own home town. I wanted SO badly to have a reason to stay, but it didn't seem like it was going to happen. I felt so small.

I guess that's what's so great about keeping a journal, even though I might be the worst person at it. But you have the opportunity to look back at the problems that you thought were SO HUGE and see how insignificant they've become. And, if you're smart enough, you'll remember that when faced with new challenges.

See, if I had my way, I'd be in Syracuse, NY, slaving away in someones lab, but that's not what God wanted. And though I kicked, screamed, bitched and moaned, I've been reminded once again, that God kinda has the upper hand when it comes to seeing the future and knowing what's going to work out.

So, I don't know what's coming next (well, california is, but you know what I mean), but I'm excited as HELL!

But for now, when I see a hippy walking arm and arm with a 80 year old socialite, a 60 year old korean man dressed like justin timberlake, and his blond 20 year old girlfriend, and a white lady with a red afro, like I did today, I'll just smile and say, GOD I LOVE NEW YORK!

2 comments:

Matthew said...

You're back? You're in New York? I want to go. I have a I heart NY shirt from the sixth grade. It's super faded. But people like it 'cause it looks funky.

Speaking of hearts, read what I wrote on Ellen's blog (cf. her dancin' post). Haha...

Matthew said...

So I just came across another comment you left for me on E's blog! I could have seen you during spring break! But, alas, it wasn't meant to be.

It's true.

My heart is needin' some fixin'...